Vermont Technical College will join with Castleton University and Northern Vermont University to become Vermont State University on July 1, 2023.
Learn more about Work Study and Student Employment at Vermont State.
Federal Work Study is an employment program funded by the federal government. The program allows students to earn money to help with the costs of attending Vermont Tech. The jobs are on-campus or at certain off-campus, non-profit organizations which contract with the College.
- Federal Work Study is offered to students with financial need as part of the financial aid offer letter.
- Students are eligible to earn wages up to the amount listed on the offer letter.
- The amount of each student’s work study varies based on financial need and availability of funds.
- On average, students work 5-10 hours a week.
- Students are paid an hourly rate and receive paychecks every two weeks for the hours worked.
- Eligibility for the program is reviewed annually.
This funding does NOT credit the student’s bill, so it should not be counted towards paying the bill when determining the balance due after financial aid. The earnings are paid directly to the student based on hours worked. Our Campus Employment Brochure is a guide to acquaint you with policies, procedures, and general rules surrounding employment on campus.
Students are responsible for researching the jobs and finding employment. Vermont Tech does not place students into jobs and cannot guarantee that every student who receives an offer of Federal Work Study as part of their financial aid will find a job. It is the student’s responsibility to actively search and apply for open positions. Vermont Tech emphasizes career preparation, and the employment experience is valued by faculty, staff, and students. Teaching students to search for and secure a Federal Work Study job can be an important step towards career success.
- Students interested in community service placement should contact the Financial Aid Office and will be given priority for work study funds. Positions include off-campus, non-profit organizations in a range of settings such as education, senior services, health care, America Reads, and Math Counts.
- Visit the Online Job Board and create an account to view job opportunities.
- Students can also visit, call, or email any department supervisor directly to inquire about available job positions.
Student Application & Employment Process
Students should be contacting the Office of Financial Aid or department supervisor to initiate their work study.
- Students will be provided a Work Study Contract which they will need to complete with the department supervisor and submit back to the Office of Financial Aid.
- The student will then be entered into the UKG time and HR management system for onboarding and receive notification of further instructions.
- The department supervisor is responsible for completing all onboarding with their workers, however the Financial Aid Office is available for troubleshooting.
- U.S. immigration laws require that all new employees complete an I-9 Form within three days of the date of hire. The required documentation must be reviewed and verified before the student can begin work. The student will need two forms of identification to complete this form, preferably a driver’s license and social security card.
- Before students can begin working, all tasks must be completed through UKG.
Time sheets and Payment
All time sheets must be submitted electronically through the Portal in UKG every other Friday by noon. Direct deposit of your payroll check is available by completing and submitting the. If direct deposit is not initiated, payroll checks are automatically mailed home to your permanent address. We recognize that a deadline date might be missed once in awhile. However, if we do not receive a time sheet after a month has lapsed, we will assume that you are not working and funds awarded may be reassigned. It is against regulation to hold time sheets for payment beyond the immediate payroll date. Once an award has been cancelled, it cannot be reinstated to honor late time sheets.
The current rate as of 8/19/2022 is $13.50 per hour.