Today, the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) awarded its first-ever Zero Energy Design Designation (ZEDD) seal of recognition to 17 leading educational programs that are preparing tomorrow’s architectural and engineering leaders to design and build the most sustainable buildings possible. This new DOE designation distinguishes post-secondary academic programs that impart the best…
Computer Information Technology (AS)
At Vermont Tech, you’ll get both the classroom and real-world experience you need to design, build, and deploy dynamic software systems; scalable and secure data networks; and telecommunication infrastructures. Our students develop the technical savvy necessary to effectively interact with software developers at a detailed level while recognizing the big-picture business viewpoint and how to communicate effectively with the rest of an organization.
Students who pursue an associate degree graduate ready to contribute as members of a technology team and are knowledgeable about web design and systems, systems administration, and have built a programming skills foundation. Graduates of this program are prepared to understand the organization and technology of computers, databases, networking, and other information technologies. Students are introduced to the breadth of technologies and to the basics of the business world.
Because of the broad technological background this program provides, students are well-prepared to enter new technical areas as the field expands and evolves.
A student with an Associate of Science in Computer Information Technology will be able to:
- Understand fundamental programming concepts and write simple programs to help maintain systems
- Develop and maintain static and simple dynamic web pages, including those connected to databases
- Install, monitor, and maintain simple computer networks
- Administer systems to provide shared services, including those that employ UNIX-based operating systems
- Understand the historical and social context of information technology
The student, in consultation with their advisor, may develop a sequence of courses that best meets their pace, experience, and needs while still satisfying all degree requirements, including minimum required credits and required program courses. A typical curriculum is shown here.
- CIS 1120 Introduction to Information Science & Technology
- CIS 1151 Website Development
- ENG 1061 English Composition
- MAT 1311 Precalculus I
- Select One
- CIS 2261 Introduction to Java Programming I
- CIS 2271 Java Programming
- BUS 2270 Interpersonal & Oral Communication
- CIS 2230 System Administration
- CIS 2320 Software Quality Assurance & Testing
- SCI XXXX Science elective
- Select One
- XXX XXXX Elective
- Barre Supervisory Union
- Berkeley Communications
- Colchester School District
- Datamann, Inc.
- Herbal Adventures
- Intralot, Inc.
- Northern Vermont University
- PBM Nutritionals
- Physician's Computer Company
- Red River Computer Co.
- Sovernet Communications
- Technology Seed, LLC
- Trapp Family Lodge
- Union Mutual Insurance of VT
- UVM Medical Center
- Vermont Country Store
- Vermont Public Radio
- Vermont State Employees Credit Union
- Vermont Systems Inc.
- Vertek Corporation
- Tech Support
- Front End Developer
- IT Help Center
- Network Administrator
- Customer and Technical
- Support Technician
- Systems Engineer
- Asst. Network Administrator
- System Administrator
- Managed Services Technician
- Network Monitor
- Technical Associate
- Computer Technician
- Technology Support Technician
- Desktop Support
- Network Administrator
- Technical Support Specialist
- IT Helpdesk Specialist
GlobalFoundries Inc. (GF) (NASDAQ: GFS), a global leader in feature-rich semiconductor manufacturing, announces its first scholarship program for students at Vermont Tech. The GF Scholarship Program will offer an annual $5,000 scholarship and a paid summer internship to three selected candidates from Vermont Tech’s Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering Technology, and/or Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering Degree, and/or Diesel, and/or Automotive Technology Program. “Vermont Tech graduates…
Vermont State University, the first statewide, hybrid higher education institution in the United States, launched its unified brand identity and logo during a live virtual broadcast today. The unveiling is a major milestone in a transformation process unifying three institutions – Castleton University, Northern Vermont University, and Vermont Technical College. Sixteen months ago, the Vermont State Colleges System initiated a…
- I was a Dean’s List student.
- I was a member of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
- I had an incredible experience at Vermont Tech.
- I was a camp counselor and student IT instructor at Rosie’s Girls camp program.
- I am applying what I’ve learned at Vermont Tech in the working world.
- I’m where I am today because my professors believed in me.