Computer Software Development
Demand for information technology professionals is strong and growing. Jobs in software development are projected to grow as fast as average or faster, with earnings potential above the national average. The work can be often found across industries and is needed in both small and large organizations. This program is a good introduction for those with little, or no, software experience. Employees with these skills are highly valued. Students earning this certificate should expect to find work as an entry-level programmer, software designer, or engineer at a software company.
This certificate program is not a Title IV eligible educational program and does not qualify for federal financial aid.
These certificates are designed for the student who has already earned a degree from an accredited institution and wants to obtain higher-level skills. Some of these certificates may require additional academic work or equivalent work experience to complete successfully.
To earn a certificate, a student must maintain a cumulative GPA for the entire certificate of at least 3.0. A minimum grade of C is required for all courses. With permission, a subsequent course may be substituted to replace one course where this requirement was not met. For a student with a particularly strong background, up to two courses may be waived with permission.
A student with a certificate in Computer Software Development will be able to:
- Program proficiency in an object-oriented programming language
- Develop and maintain static and simple dynamic web pages, including those connected to databases
- Install, monitor, and maintain simple computer networks
Projected Employment Growth for Computer & Informational Technology Occupations, 2019-2029 (source: BLS)
- I was among my program's first seven graduates.
- After graduation, I was hired immediately where I had my internship!
- I always get a positive response from employers when they see Vermont Tech on my resume.
- I’m working full time while completing my master’s degree.
- I received a fellowship from NASA.
- I’m working on the Lunar IceCube satellite project.