Senator Patrick Leahy, Vice Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, and Vermont Technical College (Vermont Tech) President Patricia Moulton Monday announced a $7.969 million contract awarded to Vermont Tech from the U.S. Army’s Industrial Base Analysis and Sustainment (IBAS) office as part of its National Imperative for Industrial Skills. The contract, which has an additional $4 million option, will establish…
Computer Software Engineering (BS)
From commercial servers to mobile and embedded devices, almost everything we use relies on software. Our dynamic program will introduce you to the entire software development life cycle, including requirements, design, coding, testing, and deployment in a rigorous, hands-on, programming-intensive experience. You’ll master computer programming, website design, networking and system development, and administration and take part in major projects that reflect real-world needs.
Graduates of this program develop programming expertise and experience significant technical depth in multiple areas. Typical jobs for graduates include test, release, or customer support engineers.
In addition to the student outcomes included in the associate program, a student with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Software Engineering will be able to:
- Use a relational database to solve information management problems
- Identify and effectively describe a user’s problem and design and develop an appropriate software solution
- Apply knowledge of computer science fundamentals to develop high-quality software applications
- Apply significant technical knowledge in their field of study to solve technical problems
- Effectively work as a member of a team to design, develop, and implement solutions to technical problems
- Make ethical professional decisions in their career
All students actively participate in the design, development, and evaluation of a sizable software system and present the results of those efforts.
The student, in conjunction with the Department Chair, may develop a sequence of courses to best meet their background and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum is shown here.
- Aadco Medical
- Contact Energy
- CSL Software Solutions Inc
- DealerTrack Inc.
- Green Mountain Software
- Marathon Health
- Mary Hitchcock Memorial Systems & Software
- MISys Inc.
- NTT Data
- Rainworx Software
- Red Hat Software
- Red River
- Ringmaster Software Corp.
- State of Vermont
- Union Mutual of Vermont
- Union Street Media
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Vermont Information Processing
- Vermont Public Radio
- Vermont Technical College
- Washington County Supervisory Union
- Associate Analyst
- Associate Engineer Software
- Associate Quality Engineer
- Data Remediation Analyst
- Helpdesk Technician
- IT Associate
- Java Programmer
- Jr. Software Engineer
- Jr. Developer
- Server-Side Application
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- System Developer
- Technical Support Engineer
- Technical Support Specialist
- Test Development Technician
- Web Designer
- Web Developer
- Digital Retail Implementation Specialist
How do you prepare for a competition that gives you nothing to prepare for? Just like the other entrants of the American Institute of Architects’ Emerging Professionals Network (EPN) 4th Annual Design Charrette at Norwich University: anxiety ridden. William Fretwell and David Woolaver, students in Vermont Tech’s Architectural Engineering Technology major, were more than first-time entrants to the charette —…
Vermont Tech is pleased to announce the 2nd annual Choose Vermont Scholarship program has launched! The Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development, Vermont Student Assistance Corporation and 13 Vermont colleges and universities, including Vermont Tech, are partnering in the 2020 Choose Vermont Scholarship Program, which will award $60,000 in scholarship money to students who commit to attend a Vermont…