After more than a year of modified instruction and limited campus housing, President Patricia Moulton has announced the college’s intention to return to full in-person academic schedules for the fall of 2021. To serve the needs of students by providing our uniquely applied educational format, the college will reinstate a full contingent of in-person classes and labs in the fall.…
Computer Software Engineering (BS)
From commercial servers to mobile and embedded devices, almost everything we use relies on software. Our dynamic program will introduce you to the entire software development life cycle, including requirements, design, coding, testing, and deployment in a rigorous, hands-on, programming-intensive experience. You’ll master computer programming, website design, networking and system development, and administration and take part in major projects that reflect real-world needs.
Graduates of this program develop programming expertise and experience significant technical depth in multiple areas. Typical jobs for graduates include test, release, or customer support engineers.
In addition to the student outcomes included in the associate program, a student with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Software Engineering will be able to:
- Use a relational database to solve information management problems
- Identify and effectively describe a user’s problem and design and develop an appropriate software solution
- Apply knowledge of computer science fundamentals to develop high-quality software applications
- Apply significant technical knowledge in their field of study to solve technical problems
- Effectively work as a member of a team to design, develop, and implement solutions to technical problems
- Make ethical professional decisions in their career
All students actively participate in the design, development, and evaluation of a sizable software system and present the results of those efforts.
The student, in conjunction with the Department Chair, may develop a sequence of courses to best meet their background and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum is shown here.
- Aadco Medical
- Contact Energy
- CSL Software Solutions Inc
- DealerTrack Inc.
- Green Mountain Software
- Marathon Health
- Mary Hitchcock Memorial Systems & Software
- MISys Inc.
- NTT Data
- Rainworx Software
- Red Hat Software
- Red River
- Ringmaster Software Corp.
- State of Vermont
- Union Mutual of Vermont
- Union Street Media
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Vermont Information Processing
- Vermont Public Radio
- Vermont Technical College
- Washington County Supervisory Union
- Associate Analyst
- Associate Engineer Software
- Associate Quality Engineer
- Data Remediation Analyst
- Helpdesk Technician
- IT Associate
- Java Programmer
- Jr. Software Engineer
- Jr. Developer
- Server-Side Application
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- System Developer
- Technical Support Engineer
- Technical Support Specialist
- Test Development Technician
- Web Designer
- Web Developer
- Digital Retail Implementation Specialist
Vermont Tech is proud to announce that Scott Sabol, Professor in the Department of Architectural and Building Engineering Technology within the School of Engineering and Computing, has been named Engineer of the Year by the professional associations for engineers in Vermont. Sabol is a licensed structural engineer and holds the position of Secretary as a member of the Vermont Board…
Patrick Melvin (BS.EET), Ronnie Corey (AE.MEC), and Quinn Munns (BS.EET) represented Vermont Tech at the annual Vermont Society of Engineers (VSE) Golf Tournament at Cedar Knoll Country Club in Hinesburg, Vermont on September 25, 2020. The annual VSE tournament raises funds for scholarships to engineering students at Vermont Tech, Norwich University, and the University of Vermont. Although most contestants are…