Computer Software Engineering (AS)
From commercial servers to mobile and embedded devices, almost everything we use relies on software. Our dynamic program will introduce you to the entire software development life cycle, including requirements, design, coding, testing, and deployment in a rigorous, hands-on, programming-intensive experience. You’ll master computer programming; website design; networking and system development; and administration and take part in major projects that reflect real-world needs.
Graduates of this program are prepared to make meaningful contributions to a software development group. Typical jobs for graduates might include test, release, or customer support engineers. Students may continue on to the bachelor’s degree, which adds an understanding of software development and significantly more technical depth.
A student with an Associate of Science in Computer Software Engineering will be able to:
- Program proficiently in multiple programming languages
- Develop and maintain static and simple dynamic web pages, including those connected to databases
- Understand the processes used in software development and use tools to support these processes
- Understand how computer hardware impacts the running of software down to the level of assembly language
- Independently learn new, well-defined technology frameworks
- Understand the historical and social context of information technology
All students actively participate in the design and development of a software system and present the results of that effort.
The student, in consultation with their advisor, may develop a sequence of courses that best meets their pace, experience, and needs while still satisfying all degree requirements, including minimum required credits and required program courses. A typical curriculum is shown here.
- CIS 1120 Introduction to Information Science & Technology
- CIS 1151 Website Development
- ENG 1061 English Composition
- MAT 1311 Precalculus I
- Select One
- CIS 2261 Introduction to Java Programming I
- CIS 2271 Java Programming
- BUS 2020 Principles of Management
- CIS 2230 System Administration
- CIS 2260 Object-Oriented Programming
- CIS 2320 Software Quality Assurance & Testing
- SCI XXXX Science elective
- Select One
- MAT 1520 Calculus for Engineering
- Aadco Medical
- Bionic Mastering
- Contact Energy
- CSL Software Solutions Inc.
- DealerTrack Inc.
- Green Mountain Software
- Marathon Health
- Mary Hitchcock Memorial Systems & Software
- MIS Systems Corp.
- NTT Data
- Rainworx Software
- Red Hat Software
- Red River
- Ringmaster Software Corporation
- State of Vermont
- Union Mutual of Vermont
- Union Street Media
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Vermont Information Processing
- Vermont Public Radio
- Vermont Technical College
- Associate Engineer Software
- Associate Analyst
- Associate Quality Engineer
- Data Remediation Analyst
- Helpdesk Technician
- IT Associate
- Java Programmer
- Jr. Software Engineer
- Jr. Developer
- Server-Side Application
- Software Developer
- Software Engineer
- System Developer
- Technical Support Engineer
- Technical Support Specialist
- Test Development Technician
- Web Designer
- Engineering Technician
- I’m working full time while completing my master’s degree.
- I received a fellowship from NASA.
- I’m working on the Lunar IceCube satellite project.
- I was among my program's first seven graduates.
- After graduation, I was hired immediately where I had my internship!
- I always get a positive response from employers when they see Vermont Tech on my resume.