Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions about testing. We can be reached by email or at 877-337-7116.
We’re happy you’ve chosen to apply to Vermont Tech. Please carefully review this page for important information about standardized and placement testing required during the admissions process.
Who needs to test?
- We are test optional for most majors. Applicants who are currently in high school may elect to take the ACT, SAT I or take the Accuplacer Placement Test. More details on the Accuplacer are below. High school students applying to Dental Hygiene, Radiologic Sciences, and Practical Nursing are required to take the Accuplacer.
- Any applicant for the Dental Hygiene, Nursing, Radiologic Sciences, or Respiratory Therapy programs must take the Accuplacer placement test unless they have transferable credit in math and English. We cannot waive the Accuplacer until we receive your college/university transcript showing appropriate transfer credit.
- All applicants for the Vermont Academy of Science and Technology (VAST), Vermont Tech’s Early College program, are required to take the Accuplacer. Submission of the PSAT, SAT, or ACT is optional.
- Other applicants may be asked to test during the admissions process under certain circumstances. For instance, we may need additional information to help us make the best admission decision or place a student in the most appropriate English or math level.
Accuplacer Placement Testing
Whether you are taking the placement test to complete your application or are trying to move into a higher level math or English course, we strongly recommend you become familiar with the testing format and do some review of the testing subjects.
Vermont Tech uses Next Generation Accuplacer tests administered by the College Board. Next Generation Accuplacer information and sample questions are available here or through the Accuplacer Study App.
The Next Generation Accuplacer covers the following content:
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics
Some applicants may also take Arithmetic or Advanced Algebra and Functions.
Due to COVID-19, in-person testing is temporarily unavailable. During this time, Vermont Tech is offering remote Accuplacer testing from the comfort of your home. This is at no charge to our applicants and will be offered on weekdays by appointment. To use this service, you must have a computer equipped with a webcam and high speed internet. One of our Admissions counselors will proctor the exam using an online meeting format. To request an Accuplacer remotely, please select a test time and date. If these test times do not work for you please contact our office to discuss an alternative using a third party vendor (please note the applicant will be responsible for charges associated with this option).
PLEASE NOTE – Prior college coursework might waive you from all or part of test. Please call Admissions at (877) 337-7116 if you have questions.
Any students requiring accommodations should contact us and complete our Placement Testing Accommodation form as soon as possible.