Scholarships are awarded based on the following and for the academic year following the application deadline beginning with the fall semester:
- Full-time enrollment in an accredited undergraduate engineering or engineering technology program recognized by ASHRAE and listed for each scholarship. (Note: enrollment in an architecture program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) at a school in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia is accepted for Region IV Benny Bootle Scholarship)
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a scale where 4.0 is the highest and/or a class ranking of no less than 30% evidenced by submission of an official transcript of grades and/or statement from a school administrator
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from an instructor or faculty advisor, a current or past employer, and another character reference. In the case of institutions with an ASHRAE student branch, a letter from the faculty advisor of that branch may be one of the three letters of recommendation.
- Evaluation Form completed and submitted by the Student Activities Chair or other officer of the nearest ASHRAE chapter following an interview with the applicant
- Potential service to the HVAC&R profession
- Financial need
- Leadership ability (activities, leadership roles, community service, etc.)
- Work ethics (summer jobs, part-time jobs, etc.)
Vary by scholarship.