Your Room: What to bring

Welcome to the Vermont Tech residence hall community.   As you think about coming to school, you probably have questions about what is essential to have in your room.  This information should serve as a guide as you pack your belongings.  We will see you soon.

Your Room

  • Extra-long twin sheets, mattress pad, pillow and case, blankets
  • Surge protector strip  please, no extension cords
  • Window fan
  • Alarm clock
  • Broom and dustpan, mop
  • Coat hangers
  • Desk chair. Chairs are provided, but residents often choose to bring their own

Desk Supplies

  • Desk lamp
  • Organizer, calendar
  • Bulletin, memo board
  • Waste basket


  • Computer
  • Music system

Personal Supplies

  • Towels, washcloths
  • Toiletries
  • Shower caddy for bathroom supplies
  • Flip flops for showering
  • First Aid kit
  • Laundry detergent and basket

Kitchen Supplies: Each residence hall has a fully functioning kitchen with twenty-four hour access. The College does not supply cooking or dining materials.

  • Pots, pans and cooking utensils
  • Plates, cups and eating utensils
  • Dish detergent, dishcloth or sponge
  • Pots, pans and cooking utensils
  • Plates, cups and eating utensils
  • Dish detergent, dishcloth or sponge
  • One small, 2.7 cubic feet or less, refrigerator, per person, per residence hall room
  • Coffeemaker

Unacceptable Items

  • Any household cooking appliance, which includes microwave ovens, hot pots, hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, sandwich makers, popcorn makers and crock pots.
  • Candles, incense or anything that produces a flame or smoke.
  • Multi-plug adapters.
  • Heaters.
  • Furniture.
  • Pets. You may have a ten gallon fish tank; fish only, please.
  • Guns and any type of hunting weapon: air soft guns, paintball gun, pellet guns, bb guns, nerf guns and bow and arrows. All guns and hunting weapons must be registered and held at the Public Safety Office.
  • Knifes with blades longer than 4”.  Any knife considered “non-regulatory” will be confiscated and released to Public Safety.
  • Liquor, wine and or beer bottles used as decorations.
  • Christmas lights, hanging lights, neon lights, halogen lights and spot lights. Space heaters, air conditioners, humidifiers and dehumidifiers.


Questions?  Please contact Student Affairs at 802-728-1212.