The local chapter of the Forty and Eight, a national veterans organization, is offering scholarships to qualified undergraduate students enrolled in academic programs of study leading to either Associates or Bachelor Degrees in nursing. Although military experience is not required, these scholarships can help veterans in related military occupations prepare for civilian careers in the nursing profession.
A national program to help alleviate the shortage of skilled nurses in this country has long been a special interest to La Societé des Quarante Hommes et Huit Chevaux, the veterans organization founded in 1920 and also known as the “Forty and Eight.” Since 1955, La Societé has provided nearly $32,000,000 and assisted more than 52,000 nurses in obtaining nursing degrees.
The basic eligibility criteria for this scholarship are as follows:
- you must be a United States Citizen;
- you must be enrolled in and certified as a part-time or full-time student in an educational institution above the high school level;
- you must be pursuing an education in the field of nursing.
Additional Criteria: Applicant must have successfully completed at least one (1) academic semester and achieved a GPA 2.5 or higher in a nursing program at a college or university in Vermont. Applicant must demonstrate a need for financial assistance as determined by the Financial Aid Office of the college or university in which the applicant is enrolled. Previous applicants and recipients of these scholarships may apply.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE:
- Application form with ALL sections completed. Incomplete information will result in applicant not being considered. A fillable application form in WORD will be emailed on request.
- Proof of enrollment in a nursing program at a college or university in Vermont.
- Copy of student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or equivalent documentation used by the institution where enrolled.
- Copy of most recent college transcript.
- Two letters of reference no older than 2017, from, for example, teacher, guidance counselor, work supervisor.
- Applicant who is an honorably discharged veteran should furnish a copy of DD-214 “Report of Transfer or Discharge” or, if active duty, National Guard or Reserve, verifying documentation or supervisor’s contact information.
All information submitted will be kept confidential in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding privacy of personal information.
DEADLINE for application for scholarships for 2020 Fall Academic Semester is MAY 14, 2020. Applications postmarked after this date will not be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS.
MAIL completed applications to:
40 and 8 Nurses Training Program
834 Little Chicago Rd
Ferrisburgh, VT 05456
For more information about the Forty and Eight and the Nurses Training Program, Nurses Training Scholarship and application forms, please call Karlene DeVine at (802) 877-6392 or e-mail email@example.com .