Registrar FAQs

Not sure what the Registrar's Office does? Curious about registering for classes, or what FERPA stands for?  We've answered your most common questions below.

What does the Registrar do?

The Registrar’s Office, (in Admin 111), is responsible for all student registrations, maintaining all student records, transfer credit information, class schedules, academic standings, verifying enrollments, and issuing transcripts. 

Forms are available at the office and online for pre-registration, registration, add/drop, withdrawal, changing programs, changing of advisors, applying for graduation, etc.

If you change your name, address, phone, or e-mail, inform the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible.

Contact us at and (802) 728-1302/1303 or fax: (802) 728-1597


How do I register for classes?

Newly admitted students are automatically registered for a full-time class schedule based on their placement, prior credits, and program requirements unless they have indicated to Admissions that they desire to be less than full-time, or have requested specific classes only. Registration takes place in the months prior to the start of classes, after students have been accepted and have paid their deposits. Bills are not generated until after registration.

Returning students, for spring and subsequent terms, pre-register with the advice and consent of their academic advisor during pre-registration. The pre-registration periods are annotated on the academic calendar. During pre-registration, students meet with their advisor and may be registered, register themselves, or turn in a pre-registration form to the Registrar.

Forms are available here.

Adding or Dropping Classes

How do I change my schedule?

Students who need to change their schedule may do this with their advisor prior to the beginning of the semester, during orientation, or during the first week of classes.  Online registration/add/drop is only available during pre-registration and the first week of classes.  At all other times, hardcopy preregistration or add/drop forms are required.  From off-campus locations, students can have their advisors email changes/approvals to

After the first week of classes, adding is at the discretion of the instructor who teaches the course, so students need both the instructor and the advisor’s permission to add. 

After Week Two, adds are normally not permitted. 

If a student drops classes after the first two weeks, tuition will not be adjusted.  Also, a fee will be charged for the late change.  For dropped classes after the first two week W grades will be issued.  These W grades do not calculate in the student's GPA. 

In order to obtain reimbursement for a course reduction after the first two weeks, the student must drop all classes and withdraw from the college.

Students may not drop classes after the 60% point of the term. If they stop attending after the 60% point, they will remain on the class roster and receive an earned grade, usually F or NP.

Failure to Attend Class

What happens if I just stop attending classes?

Students who just stop attending class may be dismissed from the class with a failing grade and/or be dismissed from the college with all failing grades. Therefore, it is important to ensure that drop slips are turned in promptly and that they are processed. The only way for the student to know whether the drop slip has been processed is to check the VSC schedule on Web Services. 

Withdrawal from the College

What happens if I withdraw from the college?

Students who withdraw from all their classes prior to the 60% point of the term will receive W grades and be reimbursed. Students who withdraw after the 60% point do not get reimbursed for tuition and receive earned grades in all their classes, usually F or NP. grades.

Students who withdraw for medical reasons after the 60% point must have a letter from a physician stating the reason for the withdrawal.  The student will also be required to provide another letter stating that they are medically fit to return to their studies upon their return.   In the case of medical withdrawal, W grades may be assigned for all course work.

Students who stop attending Vermont Tech for at least one semester must contact Admissions for re-entry to a degree program.

Vermont State Colleges Consortium Enrollment Agreement

What is the VSC?

Vermont Tech is part of the Vermont State Colleges (VSC) system, which includes Castleton State College, the Community College of Vermont, Lyndon State College, Johnson State College, and Vermont Tech. The five colleges share one database and academic transcript. This means that students can move among the colleges and their course work does not have to be transferred; it is already part of one unified VSC transcript.

What is VSC Consortium Enrollment?

Matriculated Vermont Tech students (except those enrolled in LPN trimesters) may enroll simultaneously at Vermont Tech and any of the other Vermont State Colleges (Castleton, Lyndon, Johnson, or CCV) and use their total VSC enrollment for billing and financial aid at their home school.

Students who desire to register at another VSC school under VSC Consortium Enrollment may contact the Registrar's Office 802.728.1302 or 728.1303.

How do I register for classes at another VSC school?

Registration at other VSC schools for matriculated Vermont Tech students can only be done through the Office of the Registrar on a pre-registration form approved by the academic advisor or online when the other college is accepting registrations. Students should indicate the specific section(s) at the other VSC school for which they would like to register.

Other than summer, if a student plans to only take courses at another VSC school for a term, they should complete a non-returning student form and turn it in to the Registrar and register for the class through the other college.

During the summer term, students may enroll entirely at another VSC school without changing their academic program to that school. During the summer, students are billed at the rates of the school that is offering the courses.

Grade Amelioration/Forgiveness of Grades

How do I have bad grades from old programs forgiven?

One time in an academic career, a student who is changing programs or VSC schools may, with proper approval, have selected grades excluded from the calculation of his or her cumulative GPA in the new academic program. Grades may only be excluded for courses required in the old program that are not required in the new or subsequent four-year program. All credits earned in courses excluded from the calculation are lost. This policy does not apply to electives or credits used for any diploma, certificate, or degree already awarded.

Approval from the student’s new program department chair or director is required for grade amelioration. The student must have:

  • One term of at least 6 credits with a term GPA of 2.00 or better following the term for which amelioration is requested
  • Approval from the Academic Deans of both the home and sending institutions

Summer School

What courses are offered during the summer?

Vermont Tech offers limited courses during the summer, normally including Technical Communicationons, Technical Mathematics, Calculus, and Physics.  Students may enroll at Vermont Tech and/or entirely at another VSC School without changing their academic program to that school.  Enrollment is done either online or through the Vermont Tech Registrar.  During the summer, students are billed at the rates of the school at which they take courses.

A few general education courses are also typically offered during the summer. The courses and dates for summer offerings will be available online by the end of the spring semester. Contact the Director of Student Life for information about on-campus housing during summer sessions.  Only students enrolled in credit-bearing courses or full-time Vermont Tech summer employees are eligible for summer housing.

Email and Web Services

Why do students have to use Vermont Tech email or Web Services?

Each student will have an email account and access through the VSC Portal. While enrolled at Vermont Tech, students are expected to use their Vermont Tech email or forward their mail to an account that they will use and check on a regular basis. To access email, click on the envelope link on the left hand side of the Portal landing page above the calendar.

Web Services
Vermont Tech does not mail out class schedules, mid-term warnings, or grades, so it is important for students to be able to access this information in Web Services under the Student Academic Profile. Web Services training is providedin freshman orientations, and students can get further assistance from their advisors or the IT Helpdesk at 802.728.1721.

Also, you may use Web Services to view transfer credit; unofficial transcripts; test scores; personal demographic information; perform evaluations/degree audits for current or prospective programs; to complete a graduation application; and to set up a FERPA authorization for third-party access to your academic information.

How do I receive my grades?

Vermont Tech does not mail out class schedules, mid-term warnings, or grades, so it is important for students to be able to access this information online through Web Services. It is expected that each student will use his or her personal computer or one available in one of the many computer labs to get this information. Computer training is available during orientation weekend, and students can get further assistance from their advisors or the IT Helpdesk.

Students who need a written grade report may request one from the Registrar. 

Search for Sections

How do I find out what courses are being offered and when?

To search for class offerings at Vermont Tech or any of the Vermont State Colleges, use this link.

Select a specific college term and at least one other piece of information such as a course subject (ENG), course number (ENG 1061), section number (ENG-1061-T1), location (VTC for Main Campus offerings, TONL for on-line offerings, or TWIL for Williston Campus offerings), or select an Academic Level of "UG" to display all sections offered in that term andclick "submit".

Username and Password

How do I find my username and password?

On the Portal login page, click on "What is my username" to get both the username and the College ID.

Click on the "I forgot my password" link at the top of the page to find the password.

How do I change my password?

Students can change their password on the Portal login page by clicking on the "Change my password" link at the top of the page.

How do I get on Web Services?

To access the WebAdvisor Student Menu, click on the VSC Web Services icon, then click on "Students"

The WebAdvisor Student Menu has many useful links that will be used throughout an academic career. Grades, mid-term warnings, unofficial transcripts, program evaluation/degree audits, FERPA Authorization, online registration, and progress reports are all available here. Transfer credit will show up on the transcript.

Take some time to see what is available. Academic advisor contact information is available under the "My Profile" link.

Class Schedule

To View your VSC Class Schedule:  

  • Select the “Student Academic Profile” on the Web Services menu
  • Select “VSC Class Schedule”
  • Select  the term T14FA (Fall 2014)
  • Click “Submit”
  • The classes will appear with meeting times, dates, and available seats
  • The “Section Name & Title” is a link to the course description, requisites, and faculty information

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

What is FERPA?

A federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. The primary rights afforded to each student include, but are not limited to, the right to inspect and review their education records, the right to request amendment of records, and the right to limit disclosure of information from the records.

In accordance with federal law and regulations issued by the U.S. Department of Education, the Vermont State Colleges System (VSC) has adopted the following policies and procedures for each of its colleges. The colleges within the VSC are: Castleton State College, Lyndon State College, Vermont Technical College, Johnson State College, and the Community College of Vermont. The purpose of this VSC policy is to set forth the rights of inspection and requesting amendment, and the prohibitions against unauthorized dissemination of educational information.

The entire FERPA policy and procedure is available here under the “VSC Public Info & Data” tab, “VSC Policies and Procedures, Student Affairs, Policy 312 – FERPA”, and is available in Web Services where students update their FERPA Authorization Form.

How do students provide access for parents or guardians to their academic information?

Students who wish to authorize individuals to access their educational record must complete the Web Services FERPA Authorization Form. To complete the form:

  • Students can set up authorization online to allow the release of their student information to parents, spouses, or others, or to deny that release
  • After login to the portal, click on the Web Services “Student Academic Profile” and select the “FERPA Authorization Form”. Students who wish to authorize other individuals to have access to their educational record must enter information about the individual(s) to whom they wish to grant access
  • Click in the grant access box, enter a 5-digit access code, and click “Submit” Individuals requesting access to your academic information will have to provide your full name, college ID, and the current access code.  This access does not include official reports of grades or transcripts; those require an individual written request through the Registrar
  • Students who do not wish to release academic information to third parties should review the FERPA information, remove any previous access information, and click “Submit”
  • Upon submission, students will receive an email notification confirming their selectionVeterans Affairs


What do Veterans need to know?

Once veteran eligibility is established, the Registrar will automatically certify enrollment with the VA every semester that a student is enrolled. If a student does not want to be certified or is no longer eligible for VA benefits, notify the Registrar prior to the start of classes.

Veterans need to be prepared to purchase books and have living expenses for the first 4 - 6 weeks of classes. Payments are notoriously slow, but will be retroactive to the start of the term once they begin.

Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) students must notify the Office of the Registrar of any changes in tuition and fees after the initial enrollment verification is completed each semester. Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) students that are also receiving the Air National Guard tuition reduction (25%) must notify the registrar of this prior to each semester.

The BAH rate for all Vermont Tech students and campuses is based on the Randolph zip code no matter where the student lives or attends classes.

Vermont Tech military connected student checklist