The Vermont Academy of Science and Technology (VAST) is an independent, accredited high school exclusively for motivated high school seniors.
As a VAST student, you’ll participate in an accelerated program that allows you to complete your high school degree while taking a full year of college-level classes at Vermont Tech.
VAST graduates can apply to Vermont Tech as sophomores or may transfer their earned college credits to another institution. And Vermont residents may attend VAST at no cost!
- Please note: May 1 is the priority deadline for VAST applications, after which we admit on a rolling basis. If you are applying to Dental Hygiene or Practical Nursing*, we recommend completing your application by December 1. Still accepting applications!
- Due to our Veterinary Technology accreditation, we can no longer admit VAST applicants to the Veterinary Technology program.
If you are a high school junior or home-schooled student at the equivalent level, you can apply to VAST by submitting the following items:
- Completed Vermont Tech Application or Common Application
- $47 application fee
- Official high school transcript (or equivalent) with first semester junior grades. We look for a successful academic record in math and science and we prefer an overall academic average of at least 85
- PSAT, SAT I, or ACT results. The following score ranges are recommended:
o PSAT scores of at least 1150
o SAT scores of 530-580 in each section
o ACT scores of 21 for each sub-score
- Accuplacer scores (college-administered placement test)
- Two letters of recommendation (one letter required from school counselor or principal)
- A separate essay discussing the following:
o Why are you applying to the Academy?
o What are your academic and career goals?
o How do you think attending the Academy will assist you to reach these goals?
o How will you contribute to the Vermont Tech community?
After all of the supporting documents have been received, you will schedule a personal interview with the VAST Director. We look forward to meeting you!
*Practical Nursing applicants must be 18 by September 1 of the year they wish to enter the program to be eligible for admission. Those not 18 by September 1 may apply as an undeclared major and complete a pre-nursing curriculum prior to applying for nursing the following year. This does not guarantee entry into our Practical Nursing program.