Let's get started!
Here are the steps you need to complete to apply for financial aid.
- Obtain your FSA ID and a separate one for a parent to e-sign the FAFSA
- Apply online at https://fafsa.ed.gov
- Once your data has been submitted, the Department of Education will forward the information electronically to all schools you authorize to receive your information.
- You will receive an email from the Department of Education containing a link to your processed FAFSA, aka Student Aid Report.
- If you completed your FAFSA with estimated income, return to https://fafsa.ed.gov, to update your FAFSA with actual tax data using the IRS data retrieval tool (DRT).
- The priority deadline for submitting the FAFSA at Vermont Tech is March 1st.
- Applying by our priority deadline ensures that you will be considered for all forms of federal aid.
- Late applications are subject to the availability of funds.
- If you are a returning student, you will receive an email from the U.S. Department of Education reminding you to complete a renewal FAFSA.
- If you have any questions, contact us at finaid.vtc.edu or 800-965-8790.
What to expect
You will receive a financial aid award letter after we have received all required information. The award letter will tell you the types of financial aid you are eligible to receive and instructions on how to borrow student loans. We begin mailing freshmen award letters out in March and returning students will receive their award letters in June.
Paper FAFSA's are available upon request from the Department of Education. If you do not wish to file through the Internet, you may request that a paper FAFSA be mailed to you by calling the Department of Education at 1-800-433-3243.
You may access your Student Aid Report (SAR) as soon as 24-48 hours after you electronically filed. Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov and choose "print student aid report".