- Type of Degree: Associate of Science (AS)
- Location: Williston Campus, White River Junction
- Program Accreditation: Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
- Credit Requirements: 69
Respiratory therapists deliver care that helps people manage a wide range of breathing problems caused by disease, accident, or illness. Respiratory therapists work in hospitals or other acute care settings or are employed in clinics, physicians’ offices, or skilled nursing facilities. As diverse as their workplaces can be, their daily work days can be equally varied. Respiratory therapists have fast-paced careers and are an important part of the team of practitioners that care for patients.
Our Respiratory Therapy program is offered in a distance-learning format in two locations in Vermont in collaboration with local Community College of Vermont (CCV) and healthcare providers. Under instructor supervision, students provide patient care in a variety of healthcare settings in VT, NY, and NH. All students are required to travel to hospital sites at a distance from their local site.
Graduates are eligible to apply to take the Therapist Multiple-Choice Examination offered by the National Board for Respiratory Care.
Programmatic outcomes are defined by The Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.
A student with an Associate of Science in Respiratory Therapy will be able to:
- Meet respiratory care needs in the healthcare community
- Demonstrate the attitudes, skills, and knowledge relevant to their roles as registered respiratory therapists
- Decide whether care is needed, administer the care competently, and determine whether the care provided was effective
- Think critically, use strong communication skills, and demonstrate the leadership required of today’s respiratory therapists
Students must place into ENG 1060 or 1061 and achieve a level 2 math placement in order to be accepted into the program
Students must complete a minimum of one placement level 2 math elective (may be taken in fall or spring).
All BIO and RSP courses must be completed with a grade of C or better to continue in the program.
- Scholarships: While there are no program-specific scholarships available at this time, additional scholarships are available.
- I learn my best by doing.
- I’m practicing hands-on skills being taught with real patients in a clinical setting.
- I’m on my way to receiving my RN license.
- I am incredibly happy with my choice.
- Vermont Tech’s Ag program is like one big family.
- I get lots of experience at the farm and in the classroom.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I enjoy helping people
- I took a break between high school and college
- I play baseball in my free time
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Respiratory Therapy
Vermont Tech Respiratory Therapy student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.