Professional Pilot Technology
- Type of Degree: Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Location: Williston Campus
- Credit Requirements: 121
Our Professional Pilot Technology program is the first collegiate program:
- To offer a bachelor’s Aviation degree program in the state of Vermont, starting in 2012
- To incorporate pre-solo spin training for all students
- To include seaplane training and ratings in the BS degree
- To incorporate conventional landing gear (tail draggers) in the Commercial pilot training syllabus
- To include aerobatic instructional options during Commercial pilot training syllabus as an option
- To have a multi-engine amphibian for Multi-Engine Land and Sea training & ratings
- To offer all 9 available FAA certificates & ratings, including 3 flight instructor ratings
- To offer VA benefits for aviation training in the state of Vermont
The Professional Pilot Technology program provides flight training courses in cooperation with Vermont Flight Academy at Burlington International Airport. Offered FAA certificates and ratings include: Private, Instrument, Commercial (Single-Engine Land & Sea), Multi-Engine (Land & Sea), and Certified Flight Instructor (Airplane, Instrument, & Multi-Engine). The coursework combines basic and advanced airmanship skills to provide safe operations for all types of flying. In partnership with Vermont Flight Academy, students can expect to complete approximately 250-275 hours of flight time and will become certified flight instructors during their junior year.
Graduates of this program are prepared for a variety of career opportunities in aviation. Students attain necessary flight credentials for numerous cockpit positions including flight education, corporate flying, charter operations, commuter airlines, and, ultimately, positions with domestic and international air carriers. In addition, students may also qualify for employment in many other aviation industry positions such as managers, dispatchers, simulator trainers, and marketers for aviation or related companies.
Video transcript available for viewing.
The Bachelor of Science in Professional Pilot Technology program will:
- Provide graduates with the academic and professional tools needed to achieve success in the constantly changing aviation industry
- Provide knowledge of contemporary world-wide aviation industry issues
- Provide specific flying skills to attain FAA certificates and ratings that allow for success in all segments of the international aviation industry
- Enhance critical thinking and decision-making skills necessary for safe and effective flying
- Provide professional preparation and a zeal for lifelong learning, with a focus on the development of professional skills enhanced by the technology of aviation and integrated safety practices
Students with a Bachelor of Science in Professional Pilot Technology will
- Demonstrate the theoretical knowledge and flight skills necessary to attain FAA certificates and ratings in Private, Instrument, Commercial, Flight Instructor, and Multi-Engine as well as training or endorsements in taildragger (conventional gear), aerobatic, high performance, high altitude, complex, and seaplane aircraft
- Understand and interpret meteorological data to ensure safe and efficient flight operations
- Operate as a crew member in an aircraft cockpit and function and communicate effectively with precision and clarity as part of a multi-disciplinary team with peers, instructors, superiors, subordinates, and government agencies
- Understand the technological, political, and historical developments constituting the evolution of modern aviation
- Accurately analyze and interpret data from aerodynamic, mathematical, and scientific principles to ensure safe and efficient flight operations in all types of flying
Completion of the aviation degree entails intensive motivation and commitment. Most pilot certificates or ratings are completed in a 14-week semester. This requires the necessity to fly 4-5 times minimum each week to complete the courses. As an FAA-approved 141 flight school, the FAA requires Stage Checks and short written exams for each stage in every course. The flight school also has milestones in each week of training for every course. The Chief Flight Instructor and assistants are dedicated to following the published milestones and stage checks for every student to ensure proper completions. Students will be called upon to make up cancellations or delays on weekends and during scheduled breaks if necessary. Students must be available to fly seven days per week, including some flights at night.
Be aware that consequences will incur for noncompliance of all scheduling requests, milestones, and Stage Check failures. Consequences include, but are not limited to, charges for lateness, unpreparedness, or failure to show up for flights. If continuous interventions in published milestones occur, students can expect grade reductions or dismissal from the program for poor attendance or failure to progress properly.
Compliance with all schedules, FAA regulations, and course syllabi is a major part of the training for a career in the field of aviation.
News & Events
Before Vermont Tech
- I had lived with my family all over the world.
- I was in the Coast Guard.
- I had no idea how much I would love being a pilot.
This is me now
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
Education & Career Opportunities
FAA Certificates and Ratings available, including three flight instructor ratings.
Our graduates hold multiple Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) pilot certificates and ratings and are well prepared for a wide range of careers in aviation, including as professional pilots. Flight training includes private, instrument, commercial, certified flight instructor (airplane, instrument, and multiengine), seaplane, and multiengine land and multiengine sea.
No other college program in the world offers the extra ratings, such as seaplane, and few offer more than four certifications.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.