Dental Hygiene (BS)
- Type of Degree: Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Location: Williston Campus
- Credit Requirements: 120
Our hands-on program provides students with the clinical skills and knowledge required to earn a dental hygiene license and enter clinical practice. The first three years of coursework are completed on campus, after which students earn an associate of science degree. While on campus, students make full use of our state-of-the-art dental hygiene lab. The final year of the program is completed online; after successful completion of the fourth year, students earn a bachelor of science degree.
Because students enrolled in the program may be exposed to blood-borne pathogens, we provide students with a thorough understanding of infectious diseases, the mechanism of disease transmission, the OSHA blood-borne pathogen standards, and CDC guidelines for infection control.
Graduates of this program work directly with dental patients to promote optimum oral health. The dental hygiene profession is primarily educational and preventative in nature and offers opportunities to work in a variety of healthcare settings, including general and specialty dental practices, community health agencies, and public schools. Associate degree graduates should consider pursuing a bachelor’s degree, which will provide opportunities to work in alternative settings such as public health, education, research, and dental sales.
The Vermont Tech entry-level Dental Hygiene program consists of a 3-year CODA-approved associate degree followed by a final year accredited by NEASC, resulting in a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene. Upon successful completion of either the associate or bachelor’s degree, the student is eligible for application for dental hygiene licensure.
All dental hygiene professional courses must be taken in the prescribed six-semester sequence. The curriculum is time-intensive and the required courses are rigorous. Complete dedication to coursework is required for successful completion of the program.
A student with a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene will be able to:
- Competently perform the role of a dental hygienist in varied situations and settings
- Demonstrate the functional acuity and rationale for performing clinical techniques
- Continually promote the most current concepts of disease control and prevention
- Emphasize and promote ethical and responsible considerations in patient care
- Make an essential and unique contribution as an integral member of a healthcare team
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of legal responsibilities and ethical considerations of patient care
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous and lifelong learning
All DHY/BIO course must be completed with a grade of C or better to continue in the program
- Scholarships: Wootton Scholarship
News & Events
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am incredibly happy with my choice.
- Vermont Tech’s Ag program is like one big family.
- I get lots of experience at the farm and in the classroom.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- Clinical Dental Hygiene Instructor, Vermont Tech, Williston, Vermont
- Tutor, Champlain and Addison County Head Start, Vermont
- Graduated with a degree in Dental Hygiene, A.S., 2007; B.S., 2012
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Dental Hygiene
Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.