Computer Software Engineering (MS)
- Type of Degree: Master of Science (MS)
- Location: Williston Campus
- Credit Requirements: 31
The software industry increasingly requires more extensive education than what is offered at the undergraduate level. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics, nationally, between 15-30% of software developers hold a master's degree and job growth in the industry is much faster than average. Graduates of this program will be prepared to lead or architect software development and substantial projects.
Graduates of the master’s program can also expect increased earnings potential with their degree. Nationally, a master’s degree adds $10,000 or more to a developer’s annual salary compared to those with a bachelor’s degree alone.
With the nascent software industry in Vermont, finding enough senior developers to lead the growing number of project groups is one of the largest challenges. The Master of Science in Software Engineering degree prepares a graduate to take on that more senior role in a software development group in an expedited way. Graduates of the program develop both greater technical depth and a stronger understanding of what processes will improve development efforts that others only attain with many years of work experience. Every graduate will know how to follow and evaluate new developments in software engineering and be able to evaluate the suitability of those new developments for their personal and their group's needs.
The program can serve incumbent workers in the industry, Vermont Tech Software Engineering bachelor's students wanting an accelerated master's degree, and career changers wanting proficiency and knowledge without completing a second bachelor's degree. The program's format is designed to be accessible and flexible for both full-time students and working professionals. The program uses late-day and evening courses, leverages distance education technologies to reduce some travel time to campus, and can be completed on a part-time basis.
A student with a Master of Science in Software Engineering will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to implement and analyze sophisticated algorithms and data structures
- Analyze the artifacts created during the software development process
- Demonstrate knowledge of a range of distinct architectural styles, their appropriateness for problems, and possible organizational strategies for adoption
- Choose, read, and evaluate academic and industry publications
- Scholarships: While there are no program-specific scholarships available at this time, additional scholarships are available.
News & Events
- I’m working on my master’s degree.
- I have a fellowship from NASA.
- I’m working on the Lunar IceCube satellite project.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Computer Software Engineering
Vermont Tech Computer Software Engineering student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.