Computer Software Engineering (BS)
- Type of Degree: Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Location: Williston Campus, Randolph Center Campus
- Credit Requirements: 120
From commercial servers to mobile and embedded devices, almost everything we use relies on software. Our dynamic program will immerse you in the entire software development life cycle, teach you multiple languages, and will give you the opportunity to work on a special project with a team of peers. This advanced program gives you extra opportunities to explore an area of computer technology that you’re passionate about such as AI, cybersecurity, or forensics. If you want to start your own computer-related business you can also select Entrepreneurship electives.
A bachelor’s degree will give you more practical experience and raise your earning potential than an Associate’s. Dedicated students should explore our accredited Master’s Degree in Software Engineering.
In addition to all of the objectives included in the associate program, a student with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Software Engineering will be able to:
- Understand the behaviors and implementation of computer networking and develop systems that utilize computer networking
- Understand the requirements for developing and deploying high-quality, large-scale software systems
- Design, implement, and evaluate a user interface for a computer system
- Understand the concepts and practice of relational databases
- Understand the security issues surrounding information technology and the appropriate tools and techniques to safeguard that security
- Understand the workings of modern operating systems, both in theory and in practice, and work with an operating system using administrative tools
- Demonstrate significant technical depth in areas approved by the department chair
- Understand the professional, historical, and social context of information technology and make reasoned judgments about the social and ethical implications of their actions
All students must actively participate in the design, development, and evaluation of a sizable software system and present the results of those efforts.
The student, in conjunction with the department chair, may develop a sequence of courses to best meet their background and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum tis shown here.
News & Events
- I’m working on my master’s degree.
- I have a fellowship from NASA.
- I’m working on the Lunar IceCube satellite project.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Computer Software Engineering
Vermont Tech Computer Software Engineering student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.