Computer Software Engineering (AS)
- Type of Degree: Associate of Science (AS)
- Location: Williston Campus, Randolph Center Campus
- Credit Requirements: 60
From commercial servers to mobile and embedded devices, almost everything we use relies on software. Our dynamic program will introduce you to the entire software development life cycle, including requirements, design, coding, testing, and deployment in a rigorous, hands-on, programming-intensive experience. You'll master computer programming; website design; networking and system development; and administration and take part in major projects that reflect real-world needs.
Graduates of this program are prepared to make meaningful contributions to a software development group. Typical jobs for graduates might include test, release, or customer support engineers. Students may continue on to the bachelor’s degree, which adds an understanding of software development and significantly more technical depth.
Students with an Associate of Science in Computer Software Engineering will be able to:
- Demonstrate fluency in multiple languages, including one object-oriented language and one scripting language
- Understand the fundamentals of computer hardware, including understanding assembly language
- Develop complete websites
- Understand the behaviors and implementation of computer networking
- Understand basic principles for developing and deploying high-quality software systems
- Understand how to manage systems, including UNIX-based computers
- Work effectively in a group software development effort
- Understand the historical and social context of information technology
In addition, all graduates must actively participate in the design and development of a software system and present the results of that effort.
Students, in conjunction with the department chair, may develop a sequence of courses to best meet their backgrounds and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum taken by students is shown below.
News & Events
- I’m working on my master’s degree.
- I have a fellowship from NASA.
- I’m working on the Lunar IceCube satellite project.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
Deema AL Namee
- I've lived on campus the whole time
- Vermont is a great place to live
- Currently going for a second degree
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I get a lot of experience with my lab work.
- I already have a job in my field.
- My strength in math is paying off in my coursework.
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
Grace De Geus
- Associate Software Engineer, Sensors & Integrated Systems, United Technologies Corporation (UTC) Aerospace Systems, United Technologies, Vergennes, Vermont
- Graduated with a B.S. in Computer Software Engineering, 2013
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Computer Software Engineering
Vermont Tech Computer Software Engineering student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.