Computer Engineering Technology (AE)
- Type of Degree: Associate of Engineering (AE)
- Location: Williston Campus, Randolph Center Campus
- Program Accreditation: Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Credit Requirements: 65
Technology changes quickly; our Computer Engineering Technology program gives students a solid foundation in all aspects of computer technology so that they can adapt to changes in the field long after graduation. The theory developed in the classroom is reinforced with lab work, which allows students to develop confidence and skill in their newly acquired knowledge and to accurately report the results of their observations. Along with two networked computer labs, students also use the facilities available in three additional instrumented electronics labs. Practical experience ranges from soldering circuit boards, to user interface programming, to the latest wireless networking technologies. Because hardware, software, and systems topics overlap in the real world, we equip graduates to evaluate the entire computer system and understand how all aspects interact. With a command of the total environment, a computer engineering technician is able to relate to both programmers and hardware engineers.
Associate degree students focus on AC and DC circuits; program in C and Java; delve into the basic concepts of object-oriented programming; develop microcontroller applications; and explore other current programming techniques.
Computer Engineering Technology students share many common first-semester courses with the Electrical Engineering Technology students. This first semester provides students with a firm base in fundamental principles. Subsequent semesters’ offerings stress a systems approach, with students investigating computer-based applications from both a hardware and a software perspective. Interfacing computers with their peripherals and network applications are emphasized. Graduates are well-prepared for admission to Vermont Tech’s Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering Technology. With an extra year’s work, students may pursue a dual associate degree with Electrical Engineering Technology.
The Associate of Engineering in Computer Engineering Technology program will:
- Provide students with the capabilities to be immediately employable and productive in the workplace
- Instill the necessary skills so that graduates are qualified for positions of responsibility
- Provide the education to mold graduates who are knowledgeable in both theory and application
- Provide the base of knowledge so that graduates are prepared for lifelong learning and can adapt to new and emerging technologies
- Provide the base of knowledge so that graduates can continue their formal education
Students with an Associate of Engineering in Computer Engineering Technology will be able to demonstrate:
- The ability to apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of computer engineering technology to narrowly-defined engineering technology activities
- The ability to apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to computer engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles but extensive practical knowledge
- The ability to conduct standard tests and measurements and to conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments related to computer engineering technology
- The ability to function effectively as a member of a technical team
- The ability to identify, analyze, and solve narrowly defined computer engineering technology problems
- The ability to apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments and to identify and use appropriate technical literature
- An understanding of the need for engaging in self-directed continuing professional development
- An understanding of and a commitment to address professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity
- A commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
The program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
News & Events
- I’m working on my master’s degree.
- I have a fellowship from NASA.
- I’m working on the Lunar IceCube satellite project.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
Deema AL Namee
- I've lived on campus the whole time
- Vermont is a great place to live
- Currently going for a second degree
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I get a lot of experience with my lab work.
- I already have a job in my field.
- My strength in math is paying off in my coursework.
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
Grace De Gues
- Associate Software Engineer, Sensors & Integrated Systems, United Technologies Corporation (UTC) Aerospace Systems, United Technologies, Vergennes, Vermont
- Graduated with a B.S. in Computer Software Engineering, 2013
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Computer Engineering Technology
Vermont Tech Computer Engineering Technology student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.