Our mission for the simulation program is to contribute to life-long learning. In the simulation experience, students and/or health care providers are active participants in a safe environment that is facilitated by dedicated experienced staff. This solid grounding in underlying scientific principles and technical skills helps students translate learning from the lab to the vast variety of our urban and rural clinical settings.
Philosophy – Simulation is used to enhance, reinforce and apply nursing theory in the clinical setting. The simulation lab provides a safe, supportive and positive environment where students develop problem solving skills, enhanced communication skills, teamwork, and the opportunity to experience clinical decision making and critical thinking skills that meet defined learning outcomes. Simulation clinical days have the same requirements as for all clinical days including attendance, preparation and learning outcomes.
Vision – Striving to meet the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) guidelines, the multidisciplinary lab will provide state-of-the-art simulation experiences that will promote collaborative inter-professional learning that supports and enhances statewide healthcare education and will improve patient care and safety across healthcare.
The benefits of simulation include:
- Enrichment and enhancement of course content
- Ability to creating practice experiences not readily available in the clinical setting
- Emphasize patient safety
- Build effective communication skills with patients and families
- Providing a safe place that allows participants to make mistakes and learn from their mistakes while not jeopardizing patient safety
- Builds self-confidence
- Reinforces application of theory into practice in an efficient and focused manner
- Encourages reflective thinking by participants in the debriefing process
- Provides “realistic” role playing
- Enhances professional communication and health care team synergy
- Promotes learning through collaboration
- Alignment with the INACSL standards will allow Vermont Technical College to advance to the cutting edge of simulation education