The Eugene McDonough Memorial Scholarship is a $3,000 award given annually to one or more students who plan to enroll full time in an accredited college or university and pursue a course of study leading to an Associate, Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in the field of fire science, EMS, or criminal justice.
- Have a strong interest in emergency service and public safety.
- Be a graduate of one of the following schools, or be a home schooled student in a community with one of these schools: St. Johnsbury Academy, Lyndon Institute, Concord High School, Danville High School, Littleton (NH) High School, Manchester/Essex Regional High School (Manchester, MA), or North Shore Technical High School (Middleton, MA).
- Achieve a high school academic average of “C” or better.
- Other factors to be considered by the scholarship committee include community service, extracurricular and sports activities.
- Special consideration may be given to an active member of the St. Johnsbury Vermont Fire Department who would like to apply for a scholarship to pursue an accredited degree in Fire Science.
The St. Johnsbury Firefighters Association, International Association of Firefighters L-2934/Gene McDonough Scholarship Fund Trustees will accept only mail applications from March 15th until May 1st of each academic year. All applications MUST be postmarked by May 1st and clearly marked Gene McDonough Scholarship Application on the envelope. Successful recipients will be notified by June 1st and a formal announcement will be made at the annual memorial service in September. Inquiries may be made by faxing questions to The Scholarship Nominating Committee at (802) 748-1268 or by writing to the address below.
Gene McDonough Scholarship Fund
1187 Main Street Suite 3
St. Johnsbury, VT 5819
Download the application and criteria.