| Enrolling for the Fall of 2014!|
The Green Building Design degree focuses on creating buildings and communities that can power themselves with efficiency and the energy of the sun, earth and wind.
Green Building Design is one of three integrated Bachelors of Science degrees offered via Vermont Tech’s Sustainable Design & Technology program:
- Green Building Design
- Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Land Use
Students enrolled in any of these three degrees take a common core of classes during their first three years. In their senior year, they work together in cross-disciplinary teams in two intensive, capstone courses, applying problem solving and design skills to real world projects. Students may complete both the Architectural Engineering Technology and Green Buildings Design degrees in five years using a tailored dual curriculum map.
What will students learn to do in Green Buildings Design?
- Design energy efficiency residential and small commercial buildings incorporating passive and active renewable systems;
- Apply computer simulations, energy codes, and green building standards to optimize building performance;
- Create designs for comfortable, low energy buildings and communities with minimal impact on the earth;
- Work as an effective member of a multidisciplinary team using strong graphic and verbal skills to present ideas; and
- Learn to integrate state of the art knowledge in this rapidly evolving profession.
This unique course of study combines the concepts of architectural design with the rigorous application of energy efficiency and renewable systems. By creating designs within the framework of a rigorous study of building engineering, students will be able to apply their skills to a wide range of emerging careers in sustainability.
Possible career options:
- Designer: of buildings that use little or now external energy sources (net zero buildings).
- Systems engineer: analyze systems to maximize energy efficiency.
- Job site assessment: evaluate sites for passive or renewable energy options.
- Consultant: apply green building energy codes and LEED standards.
- Field inspector: verify energy efficiency during design and construction.
- Architects and engineers
- Energy efficiency consultants
- Renewable energy companies
- Building commissioning agents
Students may complete both the AET and Green Building Design degrees in five years. See the dual AET GBD curriculum map.
Green Buildings, SDT BS Degree for 2014
|Freshman FALL||Freshman SPRING|
|ENG-10XX||English Composition ||3/4|
|BIO-1020||Intro Enviro Sci||4|
|ARE-1021||Arch CAD I||2|
|ARE-1210||Construction Mat. Methods||6|
|SDT-1XXX||Intro to Green Sites||3|
|Sophomore FALL||Sophomore SPRING|
|PHY-1043||Physics II for Arch||3|
|ARE-2031||Environmental Sys I||3|
|ARE-2051||Arch Design I||3|
|SDT-2XXX||Intro Renewable Energy||3|
|MAT-1520||Calculus for Engineering||4|
|CPM-2030||Elemen Theory Struct||3|
|ARE-2032||Environmental Sys II||3|
|ARE-2052||Arch Design II||3|
|SDT-2XXX||Intro Green Buildings||3|
|Junior FALL||Junior SPRING|
|CHE-1031||General Chemistry I||4|
|ARE-2022||ARC CAD II||3|
|ARE-3112||Code Loads EM||1|
|ARE-3040||Electrical / Lighting||3|
|SDT-3130||Teams & Leaders||3|
|SDT-3XXX||Passive Solar Design**||3|
|ARE-3130||Design Sys Integration||3|
|ARE-3050||Fluids & Thermodynamics||4|
|Senior FALL||Senior SPRING|
|ELE-3XXX||Ele @ 3000 level||3|
|SDT-3121||SDT Studio I||3|
|SDT-4820||SDT Internship Review||1|
|SDT-4110||Building Controls & Commis||3|
|SDT-XXXX||SDT Tech Elective||3|
|SDT-4122||SDT Studio II||3|
|128 total credits|