Print Now
Close Window

Campus Employment

There are two types of employment programs:

Federal Work Study

Federal work study is a federally funded program administered by Vermont Technical College that helps students with a financial need to meet their educational expenses. Work study students are employed part-time during the academic year and can be employed full-time when classes are not in session, depending upon the availability of funds.

The Financial Aid Office selects as many participants for this program as the funding allows, on the basis of financial need.

Community Service

Community Service work is an important part of the work study program. Students interested in community service placement should contact the Financial Aid Office and will be given priority for work study funds. Positions include off-campus, not for profit employers in a range of settings such as education, senior services, health care, America Reads and Math Counts.

If you have a special area of interest, the Financial Aid office may be able to help in developing a position with you.


Q. How do I find a work study job?

A. Once it has been determined that you are eligible for a work study award, you will decide where you would like to work. During registration weekend there is a Job Fair. This gives you an opportunity to met supervisors, find out what specific jobs entail, and complete a work study contract.

Please take time to talk to prospective supervisors or workers carefully, so that all concerned have a clear picture of what is demanded by the job and what can reasonably be performed by you. You will also need to negotiate the number of hours worked to fit your academic schedule.

Q. How many hours a week do I work?

A. The average work study student works five to ten hours a week depending on the award. Most employers want to hire students who have blocks of time available rather than one hour here and there.

You may not exceed the maximum earnings level determined by the Financial Aid Office. Your work contract indicates the number of hours you should work per week in order to spread your earnings out over the entire semester. Once you have reached the maximum earnings level, your job will be terminated for the remainder of that semester. You cannot work more than 40 hours per week at any time, and the standard Vermont Tech work week is 37 1/2 hours.

Q. What is the payment procedure?

A. All timesheets must be submitted electronically through the Web Time Entry System via Web Services every other Wednesday according to the payroll schedule. Direct deposit of your payroll check is available by completing and submitting the Direct Deposit Authorization Form to the Student Accounts Office. If direct deposit is not initiated, payroll checks are automatically mailed home to your permanent address. To receive checks at your campus address a Payroll Address Form must be completed and submitted to the Student Accounts Office. We recognize that a deadline date might be missed once in a while. However, if we do not receive a timesheet after a month has lapsed, we will assume that you are not working and funds awarded may be reassigned. It is against regulation to hold time sheets for payment beyond the immediate payroll date. Once an award has been cancelled, it cannot be reinstated to honor late timesheets.

Q. What are my responsibilities as an employee?

A. Accepting a position involves a commitment on your part. You are primarily a student, but you have certain responsibilities to your employer. Besides performing your tasks to the best of your abilities, you are expected to be dependable and considerate of your employer. For example, if you are going to be late or miss a day's work, you should call your supervisor.

As an employee, you are expected to be courteous to all members of the college community and to any visitors on campus. You should assume a reasonable degree of interest in the job and perform tasks in accordance with the supervisor's expectations. Excessive socializing on the job must be avoided. 

You must act in a professional manner in dealing with confidential records and other information that comes to you by virtue of the work you are involved in. Breaches of confidentiality and other acts of dishonesty are justifiable reasons for dismissal from the student employment programs, and possibly other appropriate campus disciplinary action may be taken.

If you have a problem with a supervisor, you should discuss it with him or her directly. If that is unsatisfactory, the supervisor of the immediate supervisor should become involved. After every effort has been made to reach an acceptable solution to the problem, additional assistance from the director of financial aid is available.

Q. How much do I get paid?

A. Pay rates may be changed in the event that the minimum wage is adjusted. A separate pay rate sheet is available from the Financial Aid Office with current hourly rates. The guideline for pay rates is according to the level of the position and the number of years of service. During summer vacation one flat rate applies to all departments and levels.

Q. What about my academic responsibilities?

A. As a student employee of the college, you need to view your employment on campus as secondary to academics. Although your employment can be a meaningful part of an enriching college experience, it should not interfere with or be detrimental to your academic work. If your workload or schedule begins to present a problem with your studies, do not hesitate to talk to your supervisor. Most campus employers will be happy to rearrange schedules around heave academic commitments.

Q. What forms do I need to fill out?

A. Before new student workers can receive a paycheck there are four forms that have to be filled out and submitted to the Financial Aid Office:
  1. W-4 Form
  2. Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9
  3. Work Study Contract
  4. Vermont Tech Employment Application
The W-4 form must be kept on file with the payroll department, since it lists the allowances, which will be used as deductions from your weekly earnings. The I-9 Form/Employment Eligibility Verification Form must be completed by a member of the Office of Financial Aid. They must see original documents.

To complete the I-9, you will need:
  • a U.S. Passport (current or expired) OR
  • a valid Driver's License or Vermont Tech ID
  • and an original Birth Certificate or certified copy, or a Social Security Card

Non-Discrimination Policy

Every Member of Vermont Tech should work to ensure nondiscriminatory processes with faculty, staff, and students. Qualified students are recruited for, admitted to, and participate in all college programs without discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability. The Vermont State Colleges will provide reasonable accommodations to create equal opportunity for students with known disabilities.
Faculty, administrators, and staff are employed without discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, age, veteran status, or disability. The Vermont State Colleges will provide reasonable accommodations to the known disability of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee.
Additionally, the Vermont State Colleges will engage in affirmative efforts to recruit, admit, and support student and to recruit, employ, and support employees to achieve the diversity that advances the educational mission. The Vermont State Colleges comply with state and federal laws related to equal opportunity and nondiscrimination.
Any questions or complaints about potential or perceived discrimination in  violation of any state or federal law should be directed to the Vermont Tech Ombudsperson, the Vermont State College Office of the Chancellor in Montpelier, Vermont, the Vermont Office of the Attorney General, or the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission in Washington, D.C. Please contact the Center for Academic Success if auxiliary aid or service is required for admission or employment.

Termination of Employment

Violations of confidentiality, dishonesty (including falsifying time sheets), poor work performance, habitual tardiness or absence, and other justifiable causes are all acceptable reasons for terminating a student's employment. In most cases, it is expected that the supervisor will warn the student employee in writing before the actual dismissal. Student employees terminate their employment for a variety of reasons. Personal consideration may prompt students to withdraw from the college entirely. Some students find that they need to devote more time to their studies and feel that they need to reduce their hours worked or stop working altogether. Whatever the reason, all students are expected to provide their supervisor with at least a two week notice. If this is not possible and students need to stop work earlier, they should consult with their supervisor.