- Type of Degree: Associate of Applied Science (AAS)
- Location: Randolph Center Campus
- Program Accreditation: American Veterinary Medical Association
- Credit Requirements: 64
Demand for Veterinary Technology graduates is strong and growing. Technicians form an important link between clients, their pets, and the veterinarian. Technicians work in the laboratory, pharmacy, radiology, and surgical areas and perform duties related to patient reception, assessment/triage, and client education.
At Vermont Tech, two full-time veterinarians and a certified veterinary technician instruct students in the core two-year program with support from other faculty and an additional full-time veterinary technician. Hands-on experience is stressed and students gain experience in over 300 American Veterinary Medical Association-required procedures.
The college farm gives students excellent exposure to dairy cattle and horses. The facility on the main campus provides a modern setting for experience with dogs, cats, rodents, reptiles, and birds. Basic restraint and handling is also taught on sheep, chickens, and rabbits.
Students are eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination upon completion of the program. Click to view our students' pass rates.
Graduates of this program have various employment opportunities including veterinary practices, universities, pharmaceutical/biological research companies, diagnostic labs, feed companies, zoos, and government veterinary facilities.
All students are required to adhere to the policies and procedures set forth in the Vermont Tech Veterinary Technology Student Handbook. These policies include safety issues related to pregnancy, immunizations, and substance abuse. The college strongly recommends that Vet Tech students receive human prophylactic rabies vaccine, which is available through the college (at the students’ expense) in the fall semester.
Students with an Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in veterinary facility management utilizing appropriate professional and client communication skills and maintaining ethical standards according to applicable laws and codes of the veterinary technology field
- Exhibit a technical level of competency in the safe and effective preparation, administration, and dispensation of medications (including controlled drugs) using proper dosage calculations, labeling, and record-keeping
- Demonstrate entry-level skills in patient nursing care for both companion and food animals including husbandry; nutrition; restraint techniques; patient data and sample collection; administration of therapeutics; and basic dental prophylaxis
- Safely and effectively manage patients and the associated equipment in all phases of anesthetic procedures
- Integrate all aspects of patient, environment, and equipment management for common surgical procedures in a variety of animal species
- Handle, store, ship, and properly analyze lab specimens
- Safely and effectively produce diagnostic radiographic and non-radiographic images as well as operate and maintain the associated equipment
- Safely and effectively handle and provide care for lab, avian, and exotic animals
Students must satisfactorily complete all AVMA-required tasks for each course to receive a grade in the course.
VET 1051, VET 1052, and VET 2720 must be taken at least once; may be repeated for credit
BIO 2320 and all VET courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better to graduate from the program. Students who fail to achieve a C- or better in any core VET/BIO course after two attempts will be dropped from the program.
Returning students who need to repeat courses will be placed in them on a space-available basis.
- Scholarships: Carolyn Ferris Memorial Veterinary Technician Scholarship, Central Vermont Tractor Club Scholarship, Commonwealth Dairy Scholarship, Edward Allen Pierce Memorial Scholarship, Green Mountain Dog Club Scholarship, John D. Bryant Memorial Scholarship, Lang Farm Scholarship, Maria Balsam Milone Scholarship , Vermont Morgan Corporation Scholarship, Woodstock Dog Club Scholarship
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- I am incredibly happy with my choice.
- Vermont Tech’s ag program is like one big family.
- I gets lots of experience at the farm and in the classroom.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I get a lot of experience with my lab work.
- I already have a job in my field.
- My strength in math is paying off in my coursework.
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Veterinary Technology
Vermont Tech Veterinary Technology student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.