- Type of Degree: Associate of Science (AS)
- Location: Williston Campus, White River Junction
- Program Accreditation: Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
- Credit Requirements: 69
Respiratory therapists deliver care that helps people manage a wide range of breathing problems caused by disease, accident, or illness. Whenever and wherever breathing is an issue, respiratory therapists are there to provide care.
Graduates of this program work to apply scientific principles to prevent, identify, and treat acute or chronic dysfunction of the cardiopulmonary system. Respiratory care includes the assessment, treatment, management, control, diagnostic evaluation, education, and care of patients with deficiencies of the cardiopulmonary system. Respiratory therapists work in hospitals or other acute care settings or are employed in clinics, physicians’ offices, or skilled nursing facilities.
The Respiratory Therapy program is offered in a distance learning format in two locations in Vermont in collaboration with CCV and healthcare providers at various locales. Under instructor supervision, students provide patient care in a variety of healthcare settings in VT, NY, and NH. All students are required to travel to hospital sites at a distance from their local site.
Graduates are eligible to apply to take the Therapist Multiple-Choice Examination offered by the National Board for Respiratory Care.
Programmatic outcomes are defined by The Commission on Acceditation for Respiratory Care.
Students with an Associate of Science in Respiratory Therapy will be able to:
- Meet respiratory care needs in the healthcare community
- Demonstrate the attitudes, skills, and knowledge relevant to their roles as registered respiratory therapists
- Decide whether care is needed, administer the care competently, and determine whether the care provided was effective
- Think critically, use strong communication skills, and demonstrate the leadership required of today’s respiratory therapists
Students must place into ENG 1060 or 1061 and achieve a level 2 math placement in order to be accepted into the program
Fall semester of freshman year, choose from: MAT 1210, 1221, 2021, or others with permission of department; availability depends on scheduling. Students must complete a minimum of one placement level 2 math elective (may be taken in fall or spring).
All BIO and RSP courses must be completed with a grade of C or better to continue in the program.
- Scholarships: While there are no program-specific scholarships available at this time, additional scholarships are available.
- I learn my best by doing.
- I’m practicing hands-on skills being taught with real patients in a clinical setting.
- I’m on my way to receiving my RN license.
- I am incredibly happy with my choice.
- Vermont Tech’s Ag program is like one big family.
- I get lots of experience at the farm and in the classroom.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Respiratory Therapy
Vermont Tech Respiratory Therapy student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.