- Type of Degree: Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Location: Randolph Center Campus
- Credit Requirements: 121
The renewable energy industry continues to grow and many analysts predict that by 2020, the global clean energy economy will top $1 trillion. At Vermont Tech, you'll take advantage of an integrated course of study including engineering, technology, science, and business to prepare for careers designing, implementing, and managing renewable energy systems and similar technologies.
The Renewable Energy degree program begins with foundation courses to build a broad base of knowledge and skills in science, engineering, technology, design, analysis, and communication. The program curriculum also offers hands-on experience with solar, wind, biomass, and other working renewable energy systems on our Randolph Center campus.
Along with a complete Renewable Energy Lab, students have access to a variety of working renewable energy installations that provide power to the Randolph Center campus.
Renewable energy courses offer hands-on experiences that include design, site assessment, systems installation, biomass processing, system performance monitoring, and troubleshooting. Students also develop and apply theoretical tools to predict system performance and utilize computer-aided technology for design. Technologies covered include solar PV, renewable heating, wind, and biomass.
Our graduates pursue careers as systems designers, systems technicians, field operations technologists, technical managers, and sales technicians employed by renewable energy manufacturers; energy project developers; manufacturing and technology companies; and energy consulting and management firms.
CCV students: Our articulation agreement with CCV guarantees admission for CCV graduates who complete the AS in STEM Studies with a 2.0 or higher GPA, provided the student has completed a minimum of 60 pre-approved transfer credits. Please contact our Admissions office for specific degree requirements.
Students enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Renewable Energy will:
- Design and manage renewable energy systems and related technologies
- Develop a career path that employs knowledge of science, technology, and management to address energy needs and challenges
- Work as an effective member of a multidisciplinary team using strong graphic and verbal skills to present ideas
- Learn to integrate state-of-the-art knowledge in this rapidly evolving profession
Bachelor’s degree students are subject to Vermont Tech’s minimum degree requirements (see page 50). The minimum degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Renewable Energy are:
- 6 credits of college English
- 12 credits of mathematics, including Calculus and Statistics
- 12 credits of arts, humanities, and social science
- 12 credits of electives
- 16 credits of lab-based science, including Physics I and II, chemistry, and biology
- 16 credits of engineering courses, including CAD, AC, and DC electrical circuits
46 credits of Renewable Energy core courses, including or equivalent to:
- ARE 2031 Environmental Systems I
- ARE 2032 Environmental Systems II
- ARE 3050 Fundamentals of Fluids & Thermodynamics
- ARE 4030 HVAC Systems
- BUS 2020 Principles of Management
- BUS 3250 Organizational Behavior & Management
- BUS 4530 Technical Project Management
- MEC 1010 Introduction to Mechanical Engineering Technology
- MEC 2150 Solar Photovoltaics
- MEC 3010 Wind Power
- MEC 3040 Bioenergy
- MEC 3170 Renewable Heating Systems
- MEC 4721 Capstone Project I
- MEC 4722 Capstone Project II
- MEC 4802 MEC Internship Review
- SSC 2030 Energy Systems & Sustainability
- Scholarships: While there are no program-specific scholarships available at this time, additional scholarships are available.
News & Events
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I appreciate Vermont Tech faculty’s one-on-one attention.
- I’ve made lots of connections through professional organizations.
- I’ve met engineers who rave about Vermont Tech.
- I am incredibly happy with my choice.
- Vermont Tech’s ag program is like one big family.
- I gets lots of experience at the farm and in the classroom.
- Other students ask me to help them with course material.
- I loved playing soccer and getting involved in clubs.
- My degree from Vermont Tech will pay off.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I’m learning alongside students with similar goals.
- I’m excited by the fast pace of respiratory therapy.
- I found a job right away at University of Vermont Medical Center.
- I get a lot of experience with my lab work.
- I already have a job in my field.
- My strength in math is paying off in my coursework.
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Renewable Energy
Vermont Tech Renewable Energy student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.