- Type of Degree: Certificate
- Location: Williston Campus, Bennington
- Credit Requirements: 40
Vermont Tech offers an annual Paramedic certificate program, with the option to start in either the fall or spring semester. This program is delivered over 12 months followed by a field internship.
- Valid EMT license
- Healthcare Provider level CPR card
- Two letters of reference from an ALS provider (Paramedic, Nurse, Physician) familiar with the applicant’s character, abilities, and capability to succeed.
- Successful applicants must complete a criminal background check, fingerprinting, drug screening, and a medical examination/history form to be eligible to work in the clinical and field settings.
Schedule and Campus Location
In order to best serve the unique geographic and demographic needs of the EMS providers throughout the state, course work includes a mix of weekly classes and utilization of our online learning platform for additional student discussion and interaction. Classroom time includes a combination of lecture, small-group work, hands-on/skills practice in the lab, and simulation experience.
Vermont Tech offers a Paramedic certificate program at the Bennington and Williston campuses utilizing hybrid and interactive classroom learning formats. The program classroom and laboratory time extends over three semesters (fall, spring, and summer) and is followed by a cumulative field internship.
Students learn paramedic skills through independent study, online discussions, lectures, demonstrations, and practice in an Emergency Medical Services (EMS) lab. Under preceptor supervision, students also provide patient care in a variety of pre-hospital and in-hospital health care settings.
Upon completion of the program, Paramedicine graduates are awarded certificates and are eligible to apply to take the National Registry of EMTs’ Paramedic examination. After licensure/certification, Paramedicine graduates typically find employment in pre-hospital or in-hospital care settings working as a member of the health care team.
Students with a Certificate in Paramedicine will be able to:
- Demonstrate proper affective behaviors when interacting with patients, the public, and member of the health care team
- Perform a comprehensive history and physical examination to identify factors affecting the health and health needs of a patient
- Formulate a field impression based on analysis of comprehensive assessment findings, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and epidemiology
- Relate assessment findings to underlying pathological and physiological changes in the patient’s condition
- Integrate and synthesize the multiple determinants of health and clinical care
- Perform health screenings and referrals
- Effectively communicate in a manner that is culturally sensitive and intended to improve patient outcome
- Safely and effectively perform all psychomotor skills within the National EMS Scope of Practice Model and State Scope of Practice at the Paramedic level
- Anticipate and prospectively intervene to improve patient outcome
- Act as a role model of exemplary professional behavior
- Perform basic and advanced interventions as part of a treatment plan intended to mitigate the emergency, provide symptom relief, and improve overall health of the patient
- Evaluate the effectiveness of interventions and modify treatment plans accordingly
- Report and document assessment findings and interventions
- Collect and report data to be used for epidemiological and research purposes
- Perform a patient assessment, develop a treatment plan, and develop a disposition plan for a patient with a variety of medical and traumatic complaints
- Function as the team leader of a routine, single-patient advanced life support emergency call
- Ensure the safety of the rescuer and others during an emergency
- Assume responsibility for self-directed, goal-oriented growth
The normal number of credits required for the certificate is 40.
- Scholarships: Platinum Educational Group EMS Scholarship Program
Education & Career Opportunities
With a strong job placement rate, a full 96% of our students land jobs in their field within six months of graduation.
Based on its most recent Job Outcome Survey, Vermont Tech’s students achieve at a uniquely high level. Vermont Tech recently conducted its 6-Month Job Outcome survey for the class of 2014. Out of the total 596 graduates, 512 students responded to the survey, giving an 86% response rate. The results of the survey reported that the overall placement rate in advanced education or employment of Vermont Tech’s Class of 2014 is 96%. The percentage of graduates employed within their field is 96% as well.
There is no doubt about the quality and relevance of a Vermont Tech degree. There are great jobs in Vermont and New England if you are willing to pursue an applied, technical college degree.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.