Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Type of Degree: Associate of Engineering (AE)
- Location: Randolph Center Campus
- Program Accreditation: Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Credit Requirements: 66
Few fields of study offer graduates a wider range of opportunities than mechanical engineering technology. Mechanical engineering technicians provide an indispensable link between the professional engineer involved with research, design, and development and the skilled craftsperson who manufactures and assembles the high-technology devices that enable people, companies, and nations to function every day.
Our students learn how to communicate across the industry; produce sketches and drawings used in the manufacture of machines; analyze forces imposed upon mechanical objects; determine appropriate sizes and materials for mechanical parts; and test finished assemblies for proper design. You'll graduate able to calculate the energy requirements of machines and analyze the fluid systems that control them. You'll be able to manage the problem of heat in mechanical appliances and to control mechanisms by the use of electricity and electronics.
Graduates of this program are involved in the design, testing, manufacture, installation, maintenance, distribution, and documentation of mechanical systems and devices. They are also well-prepared for admission to Vermont Tech’s Bachelor of Science in Manufacturing Engineering Technology; Electromechanical Engineering Technology; Renewable Energy Technology; or Business Technology & Management.
The educational objectives of the program are:
- Help graduates to develop a successful career in the manufacturing, design, specification, installation, testing, operation, maintenance, sales, or documentation of mechanical systems
- Train students to employ strong communication and teamwork skills and participate productively on professional teams of engineers, technicians, managers, and skilled production workers
- Assist students to utilize technical knowledge and skills to effectively design, fabricate, manufacture, and maintain industrial and consumer systems and products
- Show students how to continuously develop as a professional, adapting and staying current in their field
Students with an Associate of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering Technology will be able to:
- Apply the knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools of mechanical engineering technology to areas such as design and solid modeling; materials and structures; machines and mechanisms; fluids systems; thermal systems; and manufacturing
- Apply a knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems that require limited application of principles but extensive practical knowledge
- Conduct standard tests and measurements and conduct, analyze, and interpret experiments
- Apply creativity in the design of systems, components, or processes appropriate to program objectives
- Function effectively as a member of a technical team
- Identify, analyze, and solve narrowly-defined engineering technology problems
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in both technical and non-technical environments and identify and use appropriate technical literature
- Understand the purpose of and engage in self-directed continuing professional development
- Recognize the importance of and have a commitment to addressing professional and ethical responsibilities, including a respect for diversity
- Demonstrate a commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
The program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
News & Events
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
Deema AL Namee
- I've lived on campus the whole time
- Vermont is a great place to live
- Currently going for a second degree
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Mechanical Engineering Technology
Vermont Tech Mechanical Engineering Technology student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.