Computer Information Technology (AS)
- Type of Degree: Associate of Science (AS)
- Location: Williston Campus, Randolph Center Campus
- Credit Requirements: 60
At Vermont Tech, you'll get both the classroom and real-world experience you need to design, build, and deploy dynamic software systems; scalable and secure data networks; and telecommunication infrastructures. Our students develop the technical savvy necessary to effectively interact with software developers at a detailed level while recognizing the big-picture business viewpoint and how to communicate effectively with the rest of an organization.
Students who pursue an associate degree graduate ready to contribute as members of a technology team and are knowledgeable about web design and systems, systems administration, and have built a programming skills foundation. Graduates of this program are prepared to understand the organization and technology of computers, databases, networking, and other information technologies. Students are introduced to the breadth of technologies and to the basics of the business world.
Because of the broad technological background this program provides, students are well-prepared to enter new technical areas as the field expands and evolves.
Students with an Associate of Science in Computer Information Technology will be able to:
- Demonstrate fluency in multiple programming languages
- Be able to develop and manage complete websites
- Understand the design and implementation of computer networking
- Understand basic principles for developing and deploying high quality software systems
- Understand how to manage systems, including UNIX-based computers
- Demonstrate a solid background in business processes
- Understand the historical and social context of information technology
Students, in conjunction with the department chair, may develop a sequence of courses to best meet their backgrounds and needs that still satisfies the degree requirements. A typical curriculum taken by students is shown here.
- Scholarships: Vermont Women in Technology Scholarship Program
News & Events
- I’m working on my master’s degree.
- I have a fellowship from NASA.
- I’m working on the Lunar IceCube satellite project.
- I have enjoyed Vermont Tech’s small size and helpful faculty.
- My tuition money won’t go to waste.
- I’ll make a high salary as an electrical engineer.
- I work in the Student Affairs Office.
- I plan on enrolling in the Manufacturing Engineering Technology bachelor’s degree program next year.
- I want to figure out a way to give back to the manufacturing community after I earn my degree.
- I’m hooked on flying
- I can rebuild a damaged airplane
- I attended the Women in Aviation Conference
- I can’t wait to join the U.S. Forest Service
- I’m a TRIO mentor and tour guide.
- I’m pursuing my dream career.
- I’m doing this all on my own, but feel supported at school.
- I’m excited to be getting into my field quickly.
- My professors know me by name
- I am a student leader
- I am a peer mentor to other students
- Started the Multicultural Club at Vermont Tech
- I get a lot of experience with my lab work.
- I already have a job in my field.
- My strength in math is paying off in my coursework.
- I work 40 hours a week at a bank and take six classes.
- I am pushing myself to always make the Dean’s List.
- I look forward to earning my degree.
- I enjoy activities on campus, such as bowling, go-carting, and apple picking.
- I am so pleased I chose the Vermont Tech Dental Hygiene Program.
- As a student, I’ve learned how to prioritize my time and learn new study habits.
- I am pursuing my second degree at Vermont Tech.
- I am a mom.
- I am enjoying study abroad opportunities in Italy and Greece.
Education & Career Opportunities
Percent Job and Advanced Education Placement Rate in Computer Information Technology
Vermont Tech Computer Information Technology student outcomes are strong. The class of 2016 had a 100% job and advanced placement rate within six months of graduation. Many students have internships while they’re in college that lead to full-time employment after graduation.
We would love to meet you and personally introduce you to the Vermont Tech community.